Red Velvet Drop Cookies


Last week I was asked by a co-worker to make some cookies, specifically red velvet cookies. I agreed, because who can say no to a change to bake some cookies? Anyway, after some consideration, I decided that I didn't want to go through the hassle of rolling out and cutting cookies at work because I would have to bring additional flour, a rolling pin, and my cutters, not to mention only having a half hour for lunch. So being the food scientist that I am, I was confident in my ability to convert a rolled cookie dough into a drop cookie dough, so this morning I weighed out all the ingredients, stuck them in my lunch box, and went to work.
While driving, I thought about the best way to make a drop cookie dough, and came to the conclusion that I would just increase the amount of buttermilk until the consistency was right for scooping. It turned out that I needed 4 times the amount of buttermilk, but the cookies was pretty tasty. Oh, I also baked them in a convection oven set at 350°F, but I think that it would also work the same in a regular oven set at the same temp.
The result was a moist, puffy, cake-like cookie that would be the perfect accompaniment to a tall glass of milk. For a picture tutorial, please see my red velvet cookie recipe.


Red Velvet Drop Cookies: Yields 5 dozen
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
4 tsp vinegar
4 tsp liquid red food coloring
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
5 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup natural cocoa powder
4 tsp black cocoa powder
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350°F. Sift together dry ingredients. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, waiting until the previous egg has been completely incorporated before adding the next one. Combine buttermilk, vinegar, food color, and vanilla. Slowly add to creamed mixture. Slowly add the dry ingredients. Mix until well combined. Scoop out using a #30 disher (2.5 tablespoons) onto a sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 8-10 minutes.

No comments :

Post a Comment